Sunday, October 7, 2012

Contemplative Education

Have you ever happened upon something interesting that has been around for a long time, but you had never heard of it, and that fact makes you feel really stupid? Well, this just happened to me as I was catching up on my Journal of Transformative Education reading and saw a couple of articles about contemplative education. I'm about to finish my masters in adult education, and I'm a big fan of transformative learning. I've also spent many years in the natural health field where Western and Eastern methods are blended and contemplative teaching is practiced without ever calling it contemplative teaching. So, when I read in Wikipedia (not scholarly, I know) that contemplative education has been in the U.S. since 1974, I thought, "Where have I been MY WHOLE LIFE that I have never heard of this"?

Apparently, contemplative education blends liberal education with contemplative practices such as meditation, tai chi, etc. If you are as interested in learning more as I am, here is a list of books on the topic available through Amazon.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment